Post Top Ad

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Mother's Day treat for my mom : Watermelonade and Bengali Aam Kheer

 
"All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel Mother"---- Abraham Lincoln
 Even I have the same feeling like Abraham Lincoln. It's a due post, what i intended to post on Mother's day, but unfortunately got sick few days before. So couldn't post it. But for me each day can be celebrated as mother's day...So, Here is a TOAST to all the mothers out there to wish you All A VERY HAPPY MOTHER'S Day.
I was so lucky this time, my mother was with me, as I was little sick. She came to my house to help me out taking care of my little ones and me. I surprised her wishing Mother's day firstly, as she had no idea about it. Then I prepared A cool drink and a cold dessert for her to convey my gratitude to her. Thank you so much mom for everything you do and you did for me and for my family. I can never thank her enough, but what can I do just love her and respect her from bottom of my heart. you are the best mom of this world. I want to be just like You. God bless you, Mom........

Here is the recipe of Watermelonade and Bengali Aam Kheer I made for my mom on Mother's day
watermelonade : I named this drink as I prepared this drink with lime juice and watermelon. Believe me, it's a refreshing drink for this killer summer.


Ingredients :

Half of a big watermelon(deseeded and cubed-better you buy seedless watermelon)
Lime/lemon : 2(medium)
Sugar : 3-4 tblps. or as per taste
Black salt/regular salt : 1/2 tsp.
Mint leaves for garnishing (optional)

Method : 
  •  Scoop out or cut watermelon in chunks, place in blender. Blend.
  •  Strain the pureed watermelon into a pitcher. Squeeze the juice of limes. Add water to thin it out slightly.
  •  Add sugar at this time.
  •  Add salt to taste. Garnish with chopped mint if you like before serving.
 If you like watermelon, you’ll totally like this. It’s refreshingly delicious, it’s got a great color, and totally thirst-quenching. You can serve this drink to guests in any kind of summer party, too.

Bengali Aam Kheer(Mango Kheer)
Aam kheer is a pure bengali delicacy served on hot summer afternoons. In Indian cuisine, Payesh/kheer or payasam is normally made with rice cooked in thickened milk. But in Bengali cuisine, kheer is also prepared with seasoneal fruits, like Mango or Orange in thickened milk, but without rice. It is very easy to make and a delightful cold dessert for Summer. It can be made from fresh mango in season or canned mango pulp available throughout the year.


Ingredients :
Skim Milk : 1 liter
Mango Pulp : 1/2 can or fresh mango : 1(made into pulp)
Sugar : 3-4 tblsp.(as per taste, as canned mango pulp is already sweet)
Pistachio(chopped) : a handful
Saffron stand : a few(optional)
Rose water : 1 tsp.


Method :

  • If using fresh mango, take out the pulps and cut into pieces, then make a puree in a blender.
  • In a heavy-bottomed pan, pour the milk and bring it to boil. Then simmer the stove and let it boil until it reduces to half.
  • Take the pan out of the heat, add the mango pulp and half of the chopped pistachio and rose water. Mix well and add sugar according to your taste.
  • If adding sugar, put the pan again on the heat but in low flame. Keep stirring. Allow it on heat in low flame for about 5 minutes. Remove the pan and garnish with rest of the pistachios and saffron stands.
  • Cool it in room temperature and then keep it in the refrigerator for about 2-3 hours before serving. Serve cold.
This is a lip-smackingly delicious treat for all mango-lovers. Devour this treat in summer afternoon or anytime of the day, will love this I guarantee.

Sending both of them to my ongoing event, Spotlight : Summer Cooler



& Aam kheer is taking part @ Mango Mania 99, hosted by The Pumpkin Farm
& to Showcase-desserts, hosted by Divya's Culnary journey








 & To Let's Cook#15-with fruits, By Tickling palates

Thursday, May 17, 2012 / by / 7 Comments

7 comments:

  1. What a great quote, love it. Love both your recipes too. Aam kheer is new to me, love the idea !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wat a lovely quote,simply love ur post..Both kheer and drink looks fantastic.very prefect for this celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written. Loved the treat.

    http://manidipa-kitchen.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  4. love both these treats. looks so summery

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and for your valuable feedback. This means a lot to me...

Post Top Ad